Saturday 23 April 2011

April Showers Bring...

...floods.

In my apartment, to be more specific. I was at a friend's last night and got home around midnight, right before it started to storm (you know, with that creepy greenish tornado sky) and it rained really really hard for half an hour, before I thought, "oh, maybe I should look out the window and see what's up" and when I did, I could not see my little front lawn. I opened the door which doesn't open onto the lawn, and there was at least an inch or two of water flowing rapidly by. My doors held, but the one outer wall in my bedroom did not fare as well, since that was right by the flooded lawn. So I cleared the wall and perched on the bed with Me Talk Pretty One Day (for the 900th read) to see what would happen. The carpet got sodden about 3 feet into my bedroom, and then the rain let up, so it didn't spread much further.

I called maintenance's 24-hour line just to see if I needed to unplug anything or whatever, and they stopped by early this morning and called the carpet-cleaner guy to come steam it and get the dirt out. I borrowed a towel from a friend so I could shower (all of my towels have been put to use on my floor) and now I'm just waiting and Italian translating til he gets here.

The funny thing, I think, is that last Earth Day our apartment bathroom in Brooklyn flooded. I only remember this because my friends made fun of me for wasting so much water on Earth Day. Is this going to be a thing from now on, water escapades on Earth Day? I sort of hope not. It was ok though, because the thunder storm was spectacular, and I. Love. Them. Although a bit eerie for Good Friday, admittedly.

So a little more excitement then I was planning on for my Friday-Saturday evening hours, and I will probably have to take a nap later, but at least nothing got too gross. It's that time of the semester where I have strategically placed book piles all over everything, so at least none of those got wrecked--librarians hate wet books. And you'd be surprised how many people return wet books to public libraries! (I know this as a former libs page.) And it could always be SNOWING (right, WNY?) I'm just sad that most of the flowers near me got squashed by the heavy rain, and all the bark chips/mulch around the plum tree in front of my window washed all over the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment