Friday 28 October 2011

A View From the Bridge

Sometimes, I really miss Brooklyn. I lived there for a little over a year, and sometimes there is nothing I want more than to people-watch in Prospect Park, wander Brighton Beach, eat falafels in the Slope while ambling by the brownstones, read a book on the promenade, visit with the guys at the corner-store, hear Eye of the Storm screaming by on their firetruck, and most of all get Thai food and curl up with a quilt with my cousin and watch Mad Men. I even sometimes miss the guy who played the guitar on the street by our place who would always serenade us, yelling about how our beauty was like the stars in the sky, the meth addicts loitering in front of our place with their stories (we lived next door to a methadone clinic), and the shenanigans that transpired on the buses. And sometimes I do not miss it at all--the compressed feeling, like sardines in a can, that you get when you are surrounded by people ALL THE TIME, the noise, the poverty that is always around you and that you can't ignore (and shouldn't, actually), the grumpiness, and how packed the subways are at rush hour.

Tonight, I went and saw A View From the Bridge, which is what prompted these Brooklyn musings. I was not that excited about this opera going in, for two major reasons:

1. I am a snob and am not that fond of modern and/or English-language operas. This one was first written and performed in 1999, so it was quite new, and I had doubts. Things just don't *sound* as good in English. Which is biased, because if you were fluent in Italian, more traditional opera dialogue would be just as dumb, but in English it just seems so banal. "Eddie, what are you doing?" "You can never have her", etc. Of course, my favorite duet from The Marriage of Figaro is about two women writing a letter, but it's different because I don't *really* know what they are saying. Modern operas try really hard to be dissonant sometimes, too, so it's not something I'd want to listen to for fun.

2. A View From the Bridge was originally an Arthur Miller play, which was adapted into an opera. I can't handle Arthur Miller. I cry every time. We had to read The Crucible and Death of a Salesman in high school, and if that wasn't bad enough, in my sophomore year in college, I took an intro to sociology class with mandatory movies every Sunday night [most work I'd done up to that point, worst grade I ever got in college. One of the most important, wonderful classes I've every taken], and we had to watch Death of a Salesman. With Dustin Hoffman in it. I cried, WAY too much. (because how many Willy Loman's do you know, people who defer and defer the American Dream until it's too late? It's heartbreaking.) ANYWAY, I swore that I was not dealing with Miller again, but got tricked into this opera.

And I have to now eat my words, because it was stupendous. Yes, the music was not my favorite. Yes, I will never be a huge cheerleader for modern operas, but I have never witnessed a musical, play, or opera, that was as suspenseful as this one was. I didn't know the plot beforehand, which helped a lot. It was all crazy and Sicilian, with incest (not sure if that's as explicit in the play), and kiss of death and spitting, and having to defend your honor. Very mob-heavy, depressing yet interesting. As someone who find displays of machismo completely unattractive (in fact, the exact opposite of the men I usually am interested in), for some reason I have an odd fascination with the mob. It was a very good adaptation of the play, and some of the music was actually really good--an aria about New York, and the very dramatic crowd scene, in particular. It was sad that the theater was so empty--it's homecoming weekend and Halloween weekend, so that might help explain it, but I think people often don't want to give modern opera a chance. This opera opened my eyes to how good modern opera can be, so I'd definitely encourage people to check them out when they can!

A View From the Bridge is set in Red Hook, Brooklyn, where I don't think you can actually see the Brooklyn Bridge (slight problem with the title!) but still. Red Hook is an enigma. You can't get there by subway, so you have to take the bus. It's full of trendy-ish coffee places and dilapidated warehouses. It's the site of the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel, and the only place in Brooklyn where you can see the Statue of Liberty head on. I worked in Red Hook for about six weeks, doing arguably the weirdest job I've ever had. I was scanning 1950's military plans from France, as well as preparing documents from doctors offices to get them ready to be scanned. So basically, I spent 8 hours a day at $10 an hour taking staples out of things and listening to NPR. One of my friends referred to this as my "Bartleby the Scrivener phase" and she was so not wrong. I also re-designed their website for a few days, and wrote copy for the owner's father's business, which was in personalizing things like golf-balls and leather satchels. Totally weird.

The best part about working in Red Hook was that there was a great grocery store across from my warehouse, so I would go over there and get a pecan roll to have after my lunch. I was working there through May and June, so it was just becoming warm, and I would go sit on the dock, my back on the warm brick building, eat my roll and look at Lady Liberty. At the end of the day, I'd take the bus to Borough Hall, and walk through downtown to my subway stop, passing the street vendors with their used books and wooden bracelets, the Bubble Man--who used bubble wands the size of my face to blow giant bubbles, the nurses and businesspeople, the deli where I used to grab a bagel sometimes, and the musicians outside Borough Hall. I miss that, sometimes.

Best song about Red Hook (I think) is Joey, by Bob Dylan, about Crazy Joe Gallo, mobster and murder-victim. The mob-culture of honor and respect is central to A View From the Bridge, and I think it was central to Red Hook at one time, too. Dylan's song ends after Joey has been shot down in Little Italy, and summarizes a lot of these themes well:

The sun turned cold over President Street and the town of Brooklyn mourned
They said a mass in the old church near the house where he was born
And someday if God’s in heaven overlookin’ His preserve
I know the men that shot him down will get what they deserve

Joey, Joey
King of the streets, child of clay
Joey, Joey
What made them want to come and blow you away?

3 comments:

  1. Reading this made me miss Brooklyn too! You have a fascinating way of drawing pictures with words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually spelled "scrivener," I think :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops! you're right. changing it now. ps GINGER NUTS.

    ReplyDelete