Monday 10 October 2011

Floundering

I'm here, I really am. And will have fun blog posts coming up soonsoonsoon, I promise--Jon Stewart, and Hair (the American Tribal Love-Rock Musical), and food news and reviews (especially pertaining to corn and other vegetarian delights), and so much more! But for now, bear with me--I'm floundering, mostly in a pile of papers I have yet to grade, research I have not completed (or started), PhD applications that I really need to give some thought (and money) to, and all of the emails and cards from family and friends that I need--and want!!--to respond to. I have so much to do that I realized today that I am not sure I will be able to go home for Thanksgiving, and that would make me indescribably sad.

In spite of school-related crazy, I'm still really happy here, rest assured. One of my best friends from college was here this weekend, and we had a really great time. She's awesome. We ate a lot and drank much cider and football-ed and I re-messed up my ankle but it seems to have healed itself (fingers crossed) and she got to meet my friends here. It was wonderful to see her. I've been getting to school by 8, eating my breakfast in the dark, and trying to stay on top of work, but it is not working out that well. I'm barely keeping up with grading and planning for my students, and have made no progress on *my* work, which is starting to freak me out a bit. Everyone told me grad school would be like this, and it finally is. And that's ok, I just have to figure out my schedule, cut out 90% of the fun things that I do, and keep calm and carry on.

I heard an anecdote once about a German academic from the 18th century (I think) and was rumored to have been crushed by the books in his library. I heard this anecdote from my undergrad advisor, because I told her I was worried about her bookshelves collapsing on her--if you saw her bookshelves, you would understand this fear. So I don't know if it is true, but in any case, it is an acceptable analogy for many academics. I'm not to the crushing point yet, although the books are lookin' a little wobbly. But if I do get buried by them, at least I'll have something to read.

So bear with me. Send me scholarly vibes, and I'll be writing very soon--I have NO social plans this weekend for the first time since August and am actually rather delighted about it, so there may be some blogging coming your way!

1 comment:

  1. *GOOD VIBES*

    It's okay...we're all going through it. And we're all sacrificing the fun, which is teh lame. I heard Alice might not be going home for Thanksgiving either, but I hope sincerely for both of you that that is not the case! You can do this!

    ReplyDelete