Sunday 29 August 2010

Talkin 'bout my Education

I start classes tomorrow, and am almost eerily unconcerned. I normally get really nervous about the beginning of a new school year--will I fit in ok? What will I wear? What if I'm not smart enough? What if I'm too smart and no one likes me? What if I can't find the classroom and am, saints preserve us, late??

Either I am 1. totally apathetic and don't care anymore, or 2. have gained some [misplaced?] confidence along the way--but in either case, I'm feeling quite ready. I have some theories about what has contributed to this. I had a comprehensive, excellent undergrad education, and I think I am very prepared for my classes. The seminar I took my senior year was the hardest, most rewarding academic experience I've ever had, and I honestly think that if I can do that, I can do this. Having met most of my sister students (there is one fellow student my year, but I don't think I have any classes with him) I know that they are nice and not likely to shun me. The faculty seems, by and large, humane--not likely to call you out in class for not knowing something. And, I generally keep up with the reading, so any gaps will fill in that way.

So, here's what I'm taking: Foundations in Islamic Art, a seminar called Caravaggio and Velazquez: Art Writing in the Baroque, Beginning Italian, and Research Sources, which is apparently v. boring but necessary. I'm excited about all of 'em (minus Research Sources). I've never had a class on Islamic Art, and the professor is supposed to be phenomenal. I'm a little-bit-of-a-freak about Caravaggio, so that should be my cup of tea. And Italian?! Now I can understand what is happening in operas!

For my last day of "freedom," I cooked some Jacques Pepin recipes (Fricassee of Brussels Sprouts and Bacon, and Caramelized Peaches, ooh la la), went grocery shopping, bought notebooks, went swimming (yes, my apartment complex has a POOL, I feel like I'm living in a resort), made and addressed some cards, watched an episode of White Collar, and started reading, erm, Dead After Dark. Yes, it's about vampires. It's also only marginally interesting.

Now all that's left for tomorrow is to double and triple check my schedule (still worried about being late!) and write some more cards. There are a lot of birthdays coming up!

Good vibes welcome. But I think this will be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment