Wednesday 28 September 2011

The Early Bird

If you know me well, you know that I am not a morning person. I'm actually not a late night person either. I'm the most productive at around 10 am, and my ideal wake-up time is therefore at about 8, with my ideal bedtime at around 11:30. Yet, this morning I decided to try something else--I set my alarm for 6:20 (mergh) and was on campus by 7:30. And it was actually...really great. It was the perfect early morning cool temperature on my walk through campus, the art building was deserted so I got to crank Regina Spektor in my office, I printed 8 articles without having to wait for a printer, and managed to lesson plan some powerpoints before class at 9.

The reason behind going to campus in the dark was that I've become really unproductive at night. I blame the fact that I'm usually on campus for 8-9 hours straight a day now, and when I get to my apartment I either immediately go for a long walk or watch 30 Rock (which is now on syndication, no good), before making dinner, and climbing into bed with a mystery, crossword puzzle, or phone (or all 3).

Since I got to campus at 7:30, I didn't feel bad about not going back after a hair appointment at 3. I had the blue streak in my hair touched up, which meant that I got to sit there for 45 minutes and read cheeseball celebrity magazines, and then got my hair washed and dried and went on my way. I've said it before and I'll say it again: if I ever become a fascist dictator (unlikely), the only perk I want is a daily head massage and hair washing. I went grocery shopping, entered some grades, ate some quiche, and am watching 30 Rock (of course) as I type this. Tomorrow is full of meetings, lesson plans, laundry--and I'm ok with that.

And on that note, it is 8:30, and my bed is calling.

Edited: I did not go to bed at 8:30 (it's 10:15ish now). Instead, I ate some ice cream, a friend popped by for a visit, I talked on the phone, dealt with some dirty dishes, and jumped around on my exercise ball for a bit. For real going to bed now though! (Might push my alarm back to 7, hmm.)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! 7:30! And I thought being there at 8:30 was brutal. You are so strong.

    But I've noticed the same thing - Being at work/school all day lay really makes it difficult to get things done at night. But we shall persevere!! (I still feel so weird going to bed before 11...Teach me your ways!)

    ReplyDelete