Tuesday 17 May 2011

Notes from the Homefront

I came home a week ago and have been a lax blogger, because, well, I've had non-computer things to do! (and thank the goddesses for that.) I've slept, had loads of fresh asparagus, seen a few friends, spent some quality grandmother time, and watched two of the Thin Mans (for about the 700th time, but those movies never get old). I went bike riding for the first time in ages, went to Wegmans (of course), played with the cat, and started Anna Karenina--and am for real going to finish it this time! Most importantly, I got to be a proud big sister when my kid sister graduated from college on Sunday, with a whole heap of honors and awards. It was a nice commencement, decidedly not as pretty as mine, but with a much better speaker--Bill Pullman. He talked a lot about the geography of WNY and how special it is, and how a sense of place is very important, all of which I totally agree with. I graduated from college two years ago today, egads, so I've been feeling very nostalgic this week as well.

More blog posts to come once I load some pictures--my family has been on a mini-vacation for the past two days at Griffis Sculpture Park, Letchworth State Park, the Jell-o Museum (YES), and Genesee Country Village, with a tasty dinner and a beyond-lovely bed and breakfast included.

I was going to say something cranky about how it would be great if it stopped raining, but my mom just told me that the clouds have parted (for the first time in quite a few days, here) and the moon is out. I've just been to look--what a moon! HUGE, and looking very cool and eerie with wispy clouds drifting across it.

Apropos of nothing--I'm listening to the Freewheelin' Bob Dylan as I read this over, and at the end of "Talking World War III Blues," he says, "Well nighttime passed and now it seems, everybody is having them dreams. Everybody sees hisself, walking around with no one else. Half the people can be part right all of the time, and some of the people can be all right part of the time, but all the people can't be all right all of the time. I think Abraham Lincoln said that. I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours. I said that."

Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. Solid Post! Anna Karenina and Bob Dylan. Two of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete