Friday 18 February 2011

Friday!

And the sun poured in like butterscotch
And stuck to all my senses--
Oh, won't ya stay, we'll put on the day,
and we'll talk in present tenses.
--Joni Mitchell, Chelsea Morning

Today I was hanging up some Valentines on my wall (my friends and family rock, hardcore) and I realized what a good mood I was in, for no particular reason. I apologize for my lax blogging of late, but nothing has really happened that especially warrants a blog post--while at the same time, I've been fairly busy with every day things. Today, for example: I got up quite late (Thursday night fun + no Friday classes), went for a long walk, managed to vacuum most of the rock salt off of my floors, did a massive apartment clean, and am now in the process of baking a broccoli quiche, sipping a glass of pinot grigio, and awaiting a visit from two of my friends who just made a Wendy's run and are bringing me a frosty.

I think the main factor behind my good mood (seriously, I keep singing along to Joni Mitchell and bouncing around my apartment) is the weather. It has been 60ish for the past three days, I have not had my heat on once, and currently have all my windows open. I know this is only a blip before it turns cold again, and I am used to very cold winters, and like winter. But spring is my favorite season and this is reminding me of it. This type of weather also makes me really nostalgic for Geneva, when everyone migrates to the quad and you start seeing lots of madras shorts. Spring weather in upstate NY is hard to beat, truly. But the sun right now is perfect. I've also been sick this week (seriously, immune system? C'MON) and finally can breathe out of my nose and sleep without coughing so that is making me very happy too. My energy is back!

Energy that will be undoubtedly be spent this evening doing some reading. I had two fun nights this week already--Valentines group date and usually Thursday night activities, so I need to buckle down. But thanks to these two group dates, I have two flowers sticking out of a wine bottle on my counter. The red rose is a Valentines present from one of my friends, who got us all flowers because she is awesome, and the purple and white carnation is from last night. There were some people selling carnations as a fundraiser for a children's hospital on the street, so we all got some. As three of us were waiting for the bus home, three frat-type boys stopped by us and said, "what up, rose girls?" to which one of my friends responded, drily, "they're carnations." We have decided to carry flowers with us at all times now. It'll be our signature.

There really is no point to this post, other than to say that I like it here. I am a bit homesick right now, because my whole family is visiting my grandmother and I wish so much that I could be there, but for now, here is a good place to be. I hope your Fridays are as lovely as mine is.

No comments:

Post a Comment